In 1996 Antrim Borough Council officially opened an 18-Hole Golf Course at its Allen Park sports facility. The course, comprising of 4 Par 3’s, 10 Par 4’s and 4 Par 5’s, covering an area of 143 acres and stretching over 6683 yards, has, with the assistance of Antrim Golf Club, been subject to an on-going improvement programme of tree and gorse planting together with a review of the bunkering and its continuing to improve as a test of golfing skill..
During construction of the course, Mr Philip Lucas, then Chief Leisure and Tourism Officer of Antrim Borough Council, had initiated discussions with the then Ulster Branch Secretary of the Golfing Union of Ireland, Mr Brendan Edwards, with regard to establishing an affiliated Golf Club at the Centre and, following a meeting of Golf Centre Members on the 18th November 1996, a Working Group was formed. Following a period of consultation with Antrim Borough Council and the Ulster Branch of the GUI, Antrim Golf Club was formed on 12th February 1997.
At this inaugural meeting, attended by 101 members, Mr Jim Fulton, Chair of the Working Group, was elected unopposed as Club Captain and Mr Joe Boyle another leading member of the Working Group was elected as Club President. Other Officers elected at this meeting were Mr John McGarry, Hon. Secretary, Mr Hugh Ward, Hon. Treasurer and Mr Victor Fulton, Hon. Match and Handicap Secretary. Non Office-bearing members of the first Club committee elected at this meeting wre Mr Ronnie Vernor, Mr Tony Brown, Mr Michael Duff, Mr Tom Montgomery, Mr Noel McCurry, Mr Fred Odborne and Mr Geoff Pogue.
The Ladies Club was formed two years later and subsequently affiliated to the Irish Ladies Golf Union.
Antrim Golf Club therefore joined the neighbouring Club at Massereene in providing Antrim town two Golf Clubs on the northern shores of Lough Neagh.
The Members of Antrim Golf Club contributed to the naming of the holes on the golf course reflecting the history and geography of the local area.The Club Badge, which was designed by first Club President, Mr Joe Boyle, reflects the ancient history of Antrim Town namely:
- Massereene Wolfhound – carved circa 1612
- Round Tower – remains of an ancient monastic settlement destroyed in 1018
- Waves – represents the Club’s location adjacent to Lough Neagh
The initial membership of the Club totaled 195, comprising of 160 Adults and 35 Juniors and, whilst membership continued to grow steadily, peaking at 313 in 2005, currently the Club membership stands at 220 men and 45 ladies.